In Farmed and Dangerous, organic farmer Cam Flaherty provides the ingredients for a January dinner at her great uncle’s assisted living residence, along with the recipe for this cake using as many local ingredients as possible. Too bad someone ends up dead after eating the dinner.
APPLE ALMOND CAKE
2 local medium apples, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cup unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large farm eggs
1/2 cup local butter, softened
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup local milk
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Toss the sliced apples with the 2 teaspoons cinnamon and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Gradually add in half the flour, then the milk,
then the remaining flour.
5. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Pour half the batter in the prepared pan, layer all the apples
evenly over the batter, and top with the remaining batter.
6. In a small bowl, combine the slivered almonds and the remaining ground cinnamon. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the cake.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Serve with whipped cream.