Ever wonder what to do with the Christmas and Hanukah cards that start filling your mailbox this time of year? My mother showed me a simple trick for displaying the cards a long time ago. (Best of all, it doesn’t take a lot of room.)
You’ll start with a clean, empty Pringles can, a skein of red yarn (I prefer one with thick strands) and some decorative plastic greenery for the top. Here are the steps, but feel free to improvise once you get the hang of it.
- Wash and dry a Pringles can, then cut off the bottom with a can opener. Save the plastic lid from the top, because you’re going to use it later.
- Tape the start of the yarn inside the empty can. (I like to gather my yarn and secure it with a rubber band, because it makes it more manageable.)
- Then, begin to wrap the yarn along the can, going inside and outside of the can.
- When the entire can is wrapped in yarn, cut the yarn and knot it, then tuck it out of sight.
- Take the plastic lid and poke a hole in it. Secure the lid back on the can.
- Add some decorative greenery through the hole and viola!… you have a decorative holiday card holder that’s simple to make, but looks festive.
Total time: 1 hour maximum